art of hosting participatory leadership
25-28 June 2009, Istanbul, Turkey
“What is the potential residing in the present ecological, economic and social shift of our World?
How do we collectively shape our future and participate in the unfolding of a sustainable world and what kind of leadership is needed to make it happen?”
The Art of Hosting Participative Leadership is
- A training for all who aspire to learn how to be, work and co-create with people in more interactive, participative and effective ways.
- Essentially, an expression of an authentic way of being with others and situations as they emerge – and a practice of creating the conditions for collective intelligence to emerge.
- Built on the assumption and experience that we need to find new solutions for the common good, whether in corporations, government, education, non-profits, social movements, communities, or families. The time is now.
The particular focus of this Art of Hosting Participatory Leadership is connecting to our roots of humanity and embracing diversity through dialogue as a way forward in an ever increasingly complex and chaotic world. We will also tap into Turkish culture and history as a reference of cultural context and dynamics.
Istanbul has been a home to many cultures throughout the history; it is where East meets West. This first Art of Hosting Participatory Leadership in Turkey will be an inquiry into the power and potential of diversity in co-creation. Come and bring your ideas and projects that you are working on to create new sustainable leadership – to share with others and learn how to strengthen them through the art of hosting participatory leadership.
Art of Hosting Participatory Leadership practices are different and complementary to more traditional ways of working that are based on rational planning in an attempt to control the process. Instead, this interactive training/retreat provides the basic theory and practices of specific tools to live and work in the creative tension between chaos and order – with just enough chaos to make the creation of newness possible and just enough order to bring the ideas into wise action. We call this the Chaordic Field, where learning and innovation take place and where wise and sustainable change can be discovered.
- The Art of Hosting Participatory Leadership is a response to a world that is becoming increasingly complex and fragmented, where true solutions and innovations lie not in one leader or one viewpoint, but in the bigger picture of our collective intelligence.
- The Art of Hosting Participatory Leadership is a response at a time when institutions and democracies themselves are failing to address the increasing chaos in our world. It is a testing ground for those seeking to find new, effective and healthy patterns for organising, innovating and interacting to create new forms that serve us all better.
- The Art of Hosting Participatory Leadership is a practice ground for all who aspire to bring out the best in others. It is based on the assumption and experience that human beings have an enormous untapped wealth and resilience.
- We are a growing global community of practitioners, supporting each other to explore and accomplish what we most care about. The Art of Hosting Participatory Leadership has been offered in Europe, the Middle East, Africa, and South and North America the past nine years. It is a self-convening network of practitioners/hosts trained in conversational group processes and dedicated to creating sustainable local networks. Hence it offers opportunities to connect with other practitioners, cross-pollinate ideas in different working fields, and to develop collaborative networks to support you in applying your learning.
- Learn more about Art of Hosting Participatory Leadership at http://www.artofhosting.org
what and how will we learn?
Our learning will grow out of everyone’s contributions and presence – we will support each other as co-learners – and co-creators. We will learn by observation, experience and practice, using participative processes to build a safe and inspiring learning environment.
methods and theories we ‘ll explore
Open Space Technology
Deep learning & connections
Real action fueled by passion
Courage & inspiration & solidarity
Communites of practice
Local and global partners
Please download the invitation here: Art of Hosting Participatory Leadership Invitation